Thursday, November 27, 2008

Sometimes You Just Have To Reboot

Working with any computer teaches you that Murphy is alive and well in in the erratic world of bits and bytes. For some reason, it just goes south.

You try and try to apply logic to the problem. You drive Customer Support batty with your numerous emails listing your latest software problems. Who really has any idea what goes on inside a computer anymore. We cross platform all kinds of stuff, port files from every where and wonder why it isn't working.

My solution for a lot of problems has been simple. If it doesn't work, reboot. It is amazing as to how many problems magically disappear using this technique.

Sadly, it doesn't always work. Right now, I don't have any formatting capability in this Post. I tried rebooting, but it didn't work.

So I'm going to Plan B. If all else fails, switch browsers. Yep, it worked. Switched from Firefox to Explorer. Now I've got formatting back. (Worked in Safari, too. I tried switching back to Firefox and nope it didn't work. It just showed HTML stuff with no ability to switch back and forth from Compose and Edit Html. Go figure.)

...How's it going Murph?
...in my younger days we used to say it differently
..."When all else fails, punt."


No comments: